Monday, April 20, 2009

Staggering statistics

I can understand why some people wonder why we are traveling all the way to Ethiopia to adopt a child ... and these aren't the main reasons, but these are a few ... it leaves me speechless and so heartbroken ...

In Ethiopia,
-One in ten children die before their first birthday.
-One in six children die before their fifth birthday.
-60 percent of children are stunted because of malnutrition.
-1.5 million people are infected with HIV (sixth highest country in the world).
-720,000 children have been orphaned by AIDS alone, and there are 4.6 million orphans in Ethiopia.
-Half the children will never attend school. 88 percent will never attend secondary school.
-the doctor to children ratio is 1 to 24,000.

2 comments:

  1. When I was researching, I couldn't believe that Ethiopia alone has over 4 million orphans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was actually one of the main reasons we went with Ethiopia--the sheer need. On top of the fact that there aren't the resources within the country to give these children forever homes.

    ReplyDelete